Sunday, May 31, 2009

Enchanted.

I still cannot believe how fast my first year of college has been. It has definitely been a roller coaster filled with ups and downs...but the good times have outweighed the bad. I just wanted to take the time to reflect my first year of being in Liwanag because it has been an amazing journey with them...

When I first joined Liwanag, I thought that I had already known what it was to be a true Catholic, but I was wrong. I thought that going to church and being confirmed made me a good servant to God. I never imagined that there would be so much more to servitude and being part of Liwanag has had a tremendous impact on my life. At first, I didn't make Liwanag meetings a number one priority because I didn't want to be seen as "too religious." When I look back, I see how foolish of me that was...but it also made me see how much I have grown because after attending the meetings weekly, it became part of my routine. I started to realize that my week didn't feel complete without seeing this group of people and I strongly regret all the times I missed out on Liwanag events because I wanted to be more involved with Kababayan, which seemed more appealing to me at the time. But being part of Liwanag has opened up my eyes to serving God in more ways and I am truly blessed to have been part of this family. 

I really do see the light of God in every one of my brothers & sisters in Liwanag. Whenever I would tear myself down about bad results from a midterm or final, Liwanag would be my safe haven. Being in the presence of these people was enough to relieve my stress and they inspire me to be more optimistic, more loving. I would always wonder how they could keep such a strong relationship with God even when things would go off-course because the first person I would always blame for my shortcomings was God. But that made me realize how immature I am and that I have so much more to learn. Liwanag gives me that drive to be a better person and the strength that comes from all of my brothers and sisters fuels that drive, that passion to be something great. Even after all my struggles, they helped me to carry my cross. And even when I felt it was too heavy, too much for me, Liwanag alleviated my fears. They taught me to accept what God has planned for me and to be HUMBLE. I think this is one of the most important lessons I have learned throughout the year because I have let my pride stand in the way of what was the right thing to do. But just knowing that I had this family who cared for me, who loved me even when I didn't love myself...is truly something amazing. At times we may feel unworthy of God's love because we feel like we fail Him...but Liwanag has given me the strength to say "YES I WILL." To say yes to my failures, my shortcomings, my imperfections...because these will ultimately shape the person I will become. 

I would have never guessed that Liwanag would have such an impact on my life. Over the course of the year I have grown to love this group of people and see them as my family. Although it is heartbreaking to see the Seniors leave, I am glad that they have been part of my life. It was tough trying not to cry at banquet, especially during the slideshows and the first year presentation to the seniors. Next year won't be the same without them because the seniors have been the core of Liwanag. But nevertheless, I wish them all the best of luck with their futures and hope that God leads them to wonderful opportunities. 

Although this year is coming to an end, I will definitely remember all of the memories I have had in Liwanag. These group of people are so talented and inspiring...I just hope that the next school year will bring even more great memories.

Congratulations Liwanag class of 2009. I love you all <3