Saturday, April 21, 2012

You Can't Win.





This semester is (FINALLY) coming to an end and all I can say is, WOW! Wow, for all of the hard work I've put into these last two semesters. Wow, for how stressed and defeated I've felt. Wow, for all of the new experiences and skills I have learned. And most importantly, wow for developing new friendships and having a great support system to help me get through all of this!

Its really been a love-hate relationship, but I am just SO excited for this year to be over and to move on! I couldn't have asked for a better school year. Yes, I've hated it many times, but I've been reflecting on how much I've grown since last August. It's nothing short of amazing and I feel so blessed for everything that God has helped me to accomplish. In two weeks, I'll be one step closer to becoming a nurse. AHHH!

Its been awhile since I've blogged and a lot has happened since then. Clinical has been the best part of this semester, hands down. I've met some of the most intriguing patients and had some memorable conversations with them. We had our last clinical day at the hospital on Thursday and it was one of the best I've had all year long. I'm SOO grateful that my clinical group got along REALLY well. We just all 'clicked' from the start and its been a blast getting to know them more and working with all of them these past 15 weeks. I really am going to miss them! Our clinical instructor wrote all of us short individual notes and I thought that it would be fun to write mine in here so I can look back on it in the future:

Dear Brittney,
My slow simmering fireball, with a bust of energy. You have done excellent work, given your all, and even wanted more. You were a pleasure to have in clinical. Wishing you only the best in your career as a Nurse, you will be great.


We all laughed at the first sentence, because that's a funny way to describe a person, LOL, but I still thought that this note was meaningful. Whenever I doubt myself, I want to be able to look at this and know that someone has seen my dedication and believed in me. I'm proud of what I've done and I want to carry my 'bust of energy' throughout these next two years of the program :)

Moving onnnn, I am an official member of Alpha Tau Delta's (ATD) Nursing Fraternity! Initiation was held at the Mountaingate Country Club near school and it was a great ceremony. Unfortunately, I did not win the 'E-board' position I was running for, but I honestly don't feel sad about it. I trust that God has planned this for me and I don't know why just yet, but I'm sure it's for a good reason! I'm happy to be part of this fraternity because there are a lot of people to look up to, ESPECIALLY my 'Big.' She's been a great mentor/supporter/encourager to me and I'm sooo thankful for that. At initiation, she also gave me some additional gifts: a book (The Human Body Explained), which has a lot of useful information, a hand-written letter, which is something you RARELY get these days, a pencil pouch for all my clinical pens/supplies, and a car air freshener that says, 'Always on Vacation.' I didn't get it at first, but she explained that whenever I have bad days to or from school, that I should just 'smell the vacation' and know that everything is going to be okay and that I CAN do it. I thought that this was such a cute and thoughtful idea and I just LOVE it. It has already come in handy and I know I'm going to need it for what lies ahead!

Next week marks my last week of classes, then I just have a paper and three finals until SUMMER! :D Thanking God for being my constant source of strength and courage, I cannot do this without Him <3

AND LASTLY, Kelly Clarkson's 'Stronger' concert at the Nokia Theatre was AMAZINGGGG. Definitely one of the best I've been to in terms of entertainment, song set list, diversity, and all of the musical guests that made surprise appreances: Tamyra Gray from Season 1 of American Idol, Michelle Branch, Blake Shelton, and Reba McEntire. I almost lost my voice from all of the cheering and singing that I did haha. 'You Can't Win' is one of my favorite songs off of her newest album, which is basically about how people will ALWAYS judge you for something and that you can't please everybody despite what you do. It's a good motto for anyone really because we all need to STOP caring about what other people think and just be comfortable in our own skin; no pretending, no games. People are going to talk, but having that strong sense of KNOWING who we really are is going to give us that extra boost we need to get through those tough days. No one else can define you but yourself. Thinking positive so that I can power through this final stretch of the year! WOOHOOO!!