I also used to watch Britney Spears and NSYNC music videos, pausing and rewinding them for HOURS just so I could get the choreography down. I would teach the dance moves to my brother and our friends and we put together SPECTACULAR performances (or so we thought haha) that we would perform at family events. This is when I fell in love with performing. Sure, I had a pretend mic head set and tacky stage props, but just being on stage was like being on cloud 9 for me.
In junior high I watched my first collegiate hip hop competition because one of my friends was on UCR's 909 troupe. That is when I was introduced to AMAZING talent: Kaba Modern, CADC, PAC Modern and THAT is when I knew that I just HAD to be on a hip hop team. So I auditioned for Riverside County's "Dance Live" my freshman year of high school and I made the team. That moment was bittersweet for me because I almost gave up at the auditions. I had NO formal dance training and I was surrounded by a bunch of upperclassmen. I doubted myself, but my brother pushed me to finish...and I stayed with this wonderful team for three years. I LIVED for performing, being on stage, and hearing that cheer from the crowd after the performance. I LOVED IT SO MUCH.
I always promised myself that I would perform in the talent show for school, so my junior year of high school I joined with one of my dance mates and we performed a salsa/hip hop routine that ended up winning 2nd place... and everytime I look back at that moment, it makes me extremely happy knowing that people in the audience enjoyed what we did, that's all that mattered. These were my glory days :) And if I never dance on a team again, if I never get to perform again, I can always look back at this talent show video and feel that pride and happiness.