Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Skyscraper.




"Develop an attitude of gratitude, and give thanks for everything that happens to you, knowing that every step forward is a step toward achieving something bigger and better than your current situation." -Brian Tracy

My first experience as a CCE was a great eye-opener. I did two shifts, the bonus rotation as a greeter since I'm a new CCE, and my regular shift in the Post-Partum department. Being a "greeter" isn't all that exciting, but it gave me the opportunity to talk with the security guards who are super laid back and cool guys. For two hours I basically just smiled at everyone who came through the hospital doors and greeted them with a "Good Morning" or helped people with hospital directions. I know that it's a simple gesture, but I found it surprisingly pleasing to have other people smile back at me. Some of the doctors and nurses looked as if they were in a hurry and I can definitely understand why, so it was kind of cool to have them stop and say a quick 'Hi' with a smile before starting off their day.

I think choosing Post-Partum was a good first rotation choice, but the downside was that all of the nurses were always up on their feet and going from place to place so it was kind of hectic trying to ask if they needed help with anything. More so, I was intimidated by all of them, especially the Charge Nurses. I have to admit I let my nerves get in the way of being "proactive," but hopefully that's normal for a first day. As I get more settled though, I hope I'll be comfortable enough to just approach them with ease. I did get to help out with quite a few things though and I got to see more of the hospital with all of the errands I had to run. Most of my time was spent answering the phone, delivering messages, and attending to patient needs. But my favorite part was being able to see happy parents with their newborn babies and escorting excited grandparents to see their grandchildren. Their smiles are what I took away with me, it was just so infectious and it made me happy. Usually people aren't in the best spirits at the hospital, but this is one of the few departments where patients were happy to be there. There's not too much action happening as of right now, but hopefully I'll be able to see and learn a lot more within the duration of my CCE commitment.

Other than CCE, Summer is almost coming to an end. School starts on Monday which I am slightly terrified about haha. I've been waiting for that day for so long, I just can't believe it's finally within my reach. I guess I'm just scared of being let down. I have a vision of what it's going to be like as an RN, but how about if it's NOT anything like I imagine? My hope is to LOVE what I do with a deep passion, because it's not work if you love what you do right? Nonetheless, I am pretty damn excited for this upcoming school year.

I haven't been in the best "spiritual shape" lately. I feel like I'm kind of in a slump, but today when I went shopping with my Mom, I came across this Devotional Journal entitled "Glimpses of God's Grace," while I was in the checkout line. It was hidden in one of the shelves but I'm glad I found it because my Mom liked it and ended up buying it for me because I was so drawn to it. At the top of each page, there's a bible quote for each day of the year with a little story and reflection on the side. There's also some blank lines on the side to write down your own thoughts. I decided that this would be a great way to help me realize His presence everyday. I know that school and my internship are going to keep me SUPER busy, but I'm going to try my best, might even promise myself, to read/write/reflect everyday in this journal. It'll give me some time to just stop and clear my head or give me some perspective. I actually started today and the reflection was:

"Sometimes we allow the good things God has placed in our lives to be strangled and crowded out by negligence and crippling sin. When this happens, we may be shocked and dismayed when we discover how we've allowed our relationship with God to deteriorate. When we call on the Lord, He faithfully works hand-in-hand with us to dig out and bring an end to our old undesirable traits. It is then He generously offers us a clean, fresh beginning, one where He causes us to become new like beautiful Spring flowers, free from weed-like wrongs, replaced with His glorious, creative love."

Finding this devotional journal was definitely a glimpse of God's Grace and hopefully it will jump start my "new beginning."