Monday, May 28, 2012

Bring Him Your Heartache.

"I had been convinced for so long that I was of little worth to anyone. I know this isn't the right way to feel, but all the past experiences of horrible heartache and failure are difficult to shake.

Help me to forgive and let go of the past. I place it all in Your capable hands. Thank You for Your comfort and love and showing me how much You really treasure me. For in You alone can I find Your consolation and indescribable peace.

What good can come from a past such as mine, Father? Is there a way You can use it to help others and glorify You? Take my life. Direct my path as I place my future in Your hands. I give You all the praise."-Anita Corrine Donihue

I won't be able to make LOG senior speeches tomorrow, but if there's anything I could say, it would be something like this:

Liwanag changed my life. My two years at UCI were challenging, but being part of a family that continuously saw His light in me gave me so much strength when I felt like I had hit rock bottom. Never have I encountered a group of people SO genuine, loving, and accepting. Liwanag truly epitomizes what LOVE is and it has been such a blessing to experience it first-hand. Honestly, I have to thank my first year family leaders Julian and Bellamay for always reaching out to me. I was the quiet one that never talked during meetings because I was so shy, but they never turned me away. Instead, they went out of their way to make me feel at home and they're part of the reason I decided to stay involved. I remember when they delivered my first 'finals care package' to me at my dorm and that's when I knew that Liwanag was different in an awesome way. The people that I've been able to meet and build relationships with in this family have been my "go-to" people for the last 4 years, and I honestly don't know what I would have done without them. 


When I had to leave UCI, I was forced to really test how strong my faith was. I can say with confidence that 2010-2011 was the lowest point of my life. I lost part of myself because I felt so broken. But who was the first person that I told when I found out I had to leave UCI and they told me everything was going to be ok? My Co, Khrystyn. Who was there to let me know that they were there for me if I ever needed anything once I moved to LA?  Nikki. Who was the first person that welcomed me to LA the day that I moved into my apartment in Brentwood? Anna. Who was there when I needed someone to drive me to the garment district because I was too damn scared to drive the streets of LA? My Ate Kathy. And who was the person that wrote and sent me an encouraging letter the first day I started the nursing program? Abby. If it hadn't been for the people I've met in Liwanag, I know that I would have lost hope in myself a long time ago. They gave me that extra push to not give up, to always place my trust in something greater than what I could see, to trust Him with all of my heart; and that's exactly what I did. Liwanag taught me how to pray, how to simply have faith, and to believe the best in others. Now, I feel that He is using me to reach out to the less fortunate as a nursing student. After all that I've been through, He directed me to where I need to be and where I belong. He helped me to get where I am today.


I know I've been M.I.A the last 2 years, but there hasn't been a day that I didn't pray for Liwanag: past, present, and future. I'm always keeping you all in my thoughts, just like many of the alumni do. I believe that the reason why this family is so strong is because we are rooted in His love and there is no greater love than that. His love makes us The Light of God and I am so glad to have been part of it all. No words could ever describe just how much Liwanag has impacted my life. I wish that I never had to leave. I wish that I could have met all of the newbies and watched the underclassmen that I've known grow into the wonderful people that they are today, especially my fams, Melissa, because I am soo proud of you and everything you've accomplished. I saw something special in you from the day Khrystyn and I welcomed you to St. Valentine, and now you're on core and have been such a great influence on everyone else. 


When I think about everything I've missed out on, it makes my heart ache because I wish I could have made more memories with my class. 2012 is a big class and they also have a big heart and have made big differences. I love every single one of you guys and I thank you for being a group of friends/family that have shown me just how much of a gift friendship really is. I will always remember the fun times during and outside of Liwanag that we've had together, how hard you've made me laugh, and for always supporting me through everything. Kris, Tina, Christian, and Hazel, thank you all especially for making my second year of college my most favorite year of all. You were the closest friends I made in Liwanag and I've missed you guys soooo much ever since I've left. My experience wouldn't have been the same without you guys and I love you all. To the rest of 2012, you inspire me and I wish you nothing but the best in the future because that's what you all deserve. The dynamic of 2012 is really special. Seeing how talented each person is and what you've all done to help Liwanag grow closer the last few years has been amazing. I know I'm not graduating this year, but to be acknowledged as part of this class is one of the best things that could ever happen to me. Meeting you all will always be one of the highlights in my life and I love you guys so much. We've rolled deep since day one and I know that this isn't goodbye. 


Liwanag will ALWAYS be a part of me and I know that God brought me here to UCI for a reason, it was for this- to bring me closer to Him before He needed me to be somewhere else. I get that now. Life is going to get crazy, but if there's one thing I've learned, it's that Liwanag will always be home for me and that my purpose in life is to do everything for His greater glory. There will never be another family like this because we are pinned by His love. In 15-20 years from now, I can guarantee that ALL of you will still be friends with at least one other person from Liwanag, and they won't just be that friend you have on facebook that you talk to once and awhile, but the one that you can really depend on, trust, & call when you need help. And I can also guarantee that person WILL be there for you during the toughest times in your life. Liwanag isn't something that ends after college, it's for life. Treasure that, and you will be able to get through anything.

Through the Years...

 "A part of you has grown in me, and so you see, it's you and me together forever. Never apart, maybe in distance, but never in heart."












Matthew 5:14-16 

 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden.  Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.  In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."