Monday, March 22, 2010

SPUH-ring Breaak.

I finished finals on Monday of finals week and I stayed in Irvine until Sunday night. I guess I didn't want to deal with going home early and facing my parents about my academic endeavors. So I stayed in Irvine to be with my friends and it was great not having to worry about too much. I don't know what I'd do without them, because they just GET me and having them makes UCI a wonderful place to live and go to school. Without them, I just KNOW that I would be miserable because I'm not doing so great. I may be a train wreck right now cuz' I have NO IDEA where my life is going at this point, but having great friends makes the journey endurable. I've noticed that I've started to be more open with what I'm going through. I've been careful about who I share with of course, but it's been nice knowing that I have support from the people I love. I honestly couldn't have gone through this alone and I love my friends for being there for me. It truly is a blessing. 

Right when I got home, my mom brought up the "So how's school?" conversation. That's when I started to feel that sense of uneasiness and my heart just started to really pound. I always get nervous when we have these talks because I know it will end up in the same conclusion: "Switch to Mount St. Mary's College to become a nurse." I know that she just wants her daughter to be successful, heck of course I want to be successful too! I just really wish there was another route that she would let me take. And sometimes I question if I am being selfish for wanting to stay at UCI. I know that my parents are spending a lot of money for my education and they should know that they are investing it for my future career, not just a CHANCE at some ordinary job. I don't want them to feel like they are gambling if I were to switch my major to Public Health because there is absolutely NO guarantee that I would find a job straight out of college. But nursing offers me that guarantee, that satisfaction of knowing that there WILL be a job for me when I graduate, and it will be a GREAT one that will provide me with the necessities to live on my OWN. However, this makes me feel like a sell-out...that I'm only going to pursue nursing because of the money. Is that the kind of person that I want to be? I always wanted to have a job that I was truly passionate about and when people ask me why I want to be a nurse, I don't have an in-depth answer. Of course, I LOVE helping other people and that's one reason why nursing is a great job, but there are definitely other jobs out there that will let me do the same. I don't know I'm just really confused right now. I tried my best not to cry in front of my mom during this talk, especially when I brought up having to leave Liwanag. And she just said "At least you've gotten to know them over these last 2 years, that's enough. You can always visit." My heart literally broke at that moment because 4 years with Liwanag would definitely be better than 2. She doesn't know how much I would miss out on: attending EVERY Tuesday meeting, all the times we go out to eat, my Sunday cycle of singing for 1230 and 630 mass, study sessions at ICF, Benecon, Spirit Rally, being a family leader, bonding with my brothers and sisters, and Interfaith in general because Interfaith is my second home. 

I have to admit that Liwanag was my absolute NUMBER ONE choice for staying at UCI...not the academic environment because in all honesty I find it hard to learn in a lecture hall of 300+ people. Liwanag has made these lat two years of my life SO WONDERFUL. But I also want my parents to be proud of me and at the moment, I don't think they are content with where my life is headed. So I've "compromised" or actually just been beaten into submission for what my mom wants for me. I told her I would switch to MSMC once I find out if I am accepted. I guess this is my way of showing her that "Mama knows best" is "true" in my family. I don't know if I'm making the right choice but my parents deserve to have a successful daughter because they raised me to be. And as much as it would hurt to let Liwanag go, I have to keep telling myself that it's for my own good. But knowing me, I would still be active in Liwanag if my schedule permitted me to. NOTHING, especially miles, can stop me from being part of that family and I would make damn sure to make every effort to make as many Sundays and Tuesdays back to the place that I love the most, my heaven on Earth. <3

So now all I have to do it wait. This is probably the most horrible feeling in the world because the result could potentially change my whole life in a heartbeat. But I am ready for whatever happens.