

I LOVE this time of year because of graduations/end of the year celebrations/Summer :D And because of it, I've had a pretty eventful past week/weekend! Last Wednesday I attended my cousin Kathy's nursing graduation at CSULB. It was great being reunited with family and being able to celebrate with all of them. Going to graduations always gives me the goosebumps, especially hearing Pomp & Circumstance at the beginning of the commencement. It made me SO HAPPY to see all the graduates walk across the stage with such big smiles on their faces, and seeing my cousin in her cap and gown gave me some hope. She also had to fight her way into the nursing program and I remember the day when she posted on FB that she got into the program. And 3 years later, here she was walking across that stage. She was glowing, I don't think I've ever seen her that happy since we were kids. That's exactly how I want to feel on my graduation day. Seeing her go through the same thing as me made me feel better. I don't want to feel ashamed for having to graduate late anymore. All I have to do is remember my cousin's smile and remember that I WILL get there eventually.
After the ceremony we all headed to Yardhouse on Shoreline Dr. and the view from our table was pretty amazing since it overlooked the harbor. It was a special moment because I barely get to see my family, so it was great just being able to laugh with them and catch up. Growing up is still chaos to me haha. I still try to believe that me and my cousins are the kids we used to be, but look at us now, my other cousin is a Pediatrician in Seattle, my cousin Kathy already has a job at Long Beach Memorial hospital, and I'm waiting for my nursing letter, hoping to even be half as amazing as they both are. I truly look up to both of them and I can't wait for the day when they'll be celebrating with me as well ♥
Liwanag Spring Banquet was on Saturday and I'm glad that I decided to go. I was contemplating at first because I wasn't sure if I wanted to be driving so much over the weekend. I actually had Ktyn decide for me by flipping a coin herself and texting me what she got haha. So I guess it was fate? It was great being able to see everyone once again. It may have not been as great as last year's banquet, but it was still fun nonetheless. I'm proud of the c/o 2011 and all their accomplishments. I really can't believe that next year is 2012's banquet. 4 years really DOES go by fast. Even though I'm not graduating next year, I'll still be there celebrating 2012's greatness. It gives me goosebumps just thinking about it...where did the time go?! Ahhh, madness. But we all gotta grow up sooner or later, right? It's gonna be a fun senior banquet next year for sure!
On Sunday I headed to San Diego to watch Glee Live with Abby & Khrystyn. We made our own shirts and we all matched! So teeny-bopper I know, but I thought it was cute :) haha. The concert was pretty good, I guess I just had really high expectations of what I personally wanted it to be. But the people you go with definitely makes the experience better than it really is and Abby & Ktyn were the perfect people to go with! I had a blast singing and dancing in my seat like I was a teenager again screaming for NSYNC or something haha. I spent the night at Ktyn's house since I didn't wanna drive home late and I'm glad I did because we had the chance to have some 'real talk.' I've really missed our talks, so it was fun being able to stay up til 2am just to share stories, laugh at our jokes, and discuss our future plans. I really love how we still find time to hang out ever since she graduated. Growing closer to someone AFTER not seeing them everyday is really something special to me personally and it truly is a blessing. Also, having friends in SD is always a win because you get to eat at Lolita's! Can't forget that! haha
Lastly, I came across a quote that summed up my weekend pretty damn well...
"I think if I've learned anything about friendship, it's to hang in, stay connected, fight for them, and let them fight for you. Don't walk away, don't be distracted, don't be too busy or tired, don't take them for granted. Friends are part of the glue that holds life and faith together." - Jon Katz
There is no such thing as being "too busy." Distance has NOTHING on separating friends unless you LET IT. Of course it sucks having to move away or move on from the people that you love the most, but it doesn't have to be so difficult. I believe there is ALWAYS time to hang out, even if it's only once every 2 or 3 months. Just because you're further from someone doesn't mean that you should love them any less. If anything, I've found to love my friends even more. I appreciate every single one of them and I thank God everyday/everynight for having such amazing people in my life. Yes, it hurts to be away, and sometimes it's exhausting trying to keep in touch. But I definitely don't want to 'lose' anyone because I decide to stop fighting. I refuse to be someone who gives up or takes their friends for granted. I want to be there for them every step of the way. I want to help them whenever they're in distress. I want to share their success and console their shortcomings. Simply put, I JUST WANT TO BE THERE. And I will :)