Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Unbroken.

My first post as a 22 year old! :) Its been awhile since my last post because I've been busy with work (it feels good to be able to say that!) and just been enjoying Summer and time with family/friends. My birthday celebration in Gaslamp for the first time was pretty fun. I had my groupd of friends from home and UCI alumni friends with me so that made me happy. It just kind of sucked how we were split up for most of the night because we wanted to do different things :-/ But other than that, I'm excited for what this year has in store for me. I'm looking forward to more ways to grow, learn, and challenge myself. I saw this quote and I just felt like it fitted this exact moment in my life:

"Plant your feet and stand firm. The only question is where to plant your feet." - Mary Todd Lincoln

It's scary knowing that I should be 'on my own' within the next few years. The thought of being a REAL adult and taking care of myself is scary. I think that this year is going to be filled with opportunity-taking and really doing things for me. If I'm going to be successful, I want to be able to think on my own and make my own decisions without feeling obligated to do something else because of other influences. I need to 'plant my feet' where I truly want to be. If that means having to do something completely different and new, then I will. 

For the last few weeks, I feel that working as a Teacher for Destination Science has really been a challenge. And it's not just one thing, it's a whole lotta things combined. Its tested my organization and preparation skills, my team work skills, leadership skills, and my interaction/bonding technique with kids. Not gonna lie, it's a lot more work than I thought it was going to be. I got off to a rough start my first week. I was just overwhelmed and inexperienced. I honestly thought they made a mistake hiring me because I did terrible my first day. I'm the only person who isn't in the teaching field at work so I felt completely out of my comfort zone. I also have never been directly criticized so that was hard to take. But I just sucked it up and learned from my mistakes. Now I feel that I'm getting the hang of things and I don't feel nervous at all. I know what I'm doing and I'm more prepared and know more of what to expect. I feel like I'm able to be more of myself and it feels good knowing that I'm teaching these kids something new everyday. Even though I'm dead tired every afternoon when I come home, I still look forward to the next day. It also helps a lot to have a staff that supports you and does their best to help with your weak points. 

I now see how fulfilling teaching can be as a profession. These last few weeks have been fun watching kids get excited about learning. I remember one of the questions during my interview was something like, "why would a person like you consider this job worthwhile when you are not planning to be a teacher in the future?" At that time, of course I was thinking what everyone else would say "THE MONEY! Duh." haha I know that's bad, but now I realize that I like working with kids and that after each day of work (even when it was a sucky day), I go home with a smile on my face because I know that I am making some kind of difference. The work that I put into preparing lessons is for the sole purpose of making knowledge come alive. When I hear a kid give a correct answer that I ask them about the material for that day, that's when I know that what I am doing is worth the time. 

This is my way of giving back. I know this isn't what I had planned for this Summer, but this is where God put me. So I am going to do my best and try to make the most out of everything that happens while I work here. Everything is for His greater glory and not my own. Looking forward to a good year being one year older and figuring out what I want!