"It is always the simple things that change our lives. And these things never happen when you are looking for them to happen. Life will reveal answers at the pace life wishes to do so. You feel like running, life is on a stroll." -Donald Miller
I always try my best to keep in touch with my friends as much as possible. I'm blessed to still have the people in my life that I met 4 years ago at UCI. Circumstances may not be the same, but I still love them the same way, or maybe even more now. I tried my best this Summer to hang out with as many people as possible, both near and far. I'm the type of person who would go out of their way just to hang out for a few hours. I don't mind the driving, I just enjoy good company and catching up.
I think it's funny how I don't 'worry' as much with making time with my friends from home. I just KNOW I'll see them eventually for birthdays, holidays, family get-togethers, etc. It's a rare thing to have, and I'm grateful for them. Its been hard for us lately though because of a recent unfortunate occurrence. But after almost 18+ years of friendship, we're pretty solid and I'm certain that nothing could ever separate us. I can't say the same with the other people in my life though and I wish it wasn't so.
I would always get mad at my Mom for calling my two years at UCI 'a waste.' If anything, it was far from that. I don't think my life would be the same if I hadn't met a lot of the people from LOG or Kaba. I may not get the chance to talk to them as much anymore, but I still value the impact they've had on my life. Now that most of them have moved on after graduation, it's scary to think that I'm 'losing' people in my life. It's a difficult situation to be in because school takes up so much of my time; I feel like I haven't had a fair chance to maintain the 'closeness' with a lot of my friends. I know that things can't always stay the same, it just sucks how I've felt 'left out' these past couple of years.
I'm trying to do bigger and better things here on my own in LA. It would just be nice if I felt like they were still a big part of it. Nevertheless, my life HAS changed for the better and I know that you have to let go of some things to make room for better things. I just wish it wasn't always that way. I miss having that sense of consistency and now that a lot of people have moved back home, I know it's going to be a challenge to handle school and try keep in touch with them with our busy schedules. This past week/weekend was really great though, I got to see some of my friends from MSMC, UCI, and home. I try to make that a tradition the weekend before school starts because I know I'm going to have limited social time once things start to pick up.
It's bittersweet to be thinking about all of this right now, but life goes on. You take what you get and you make the best of it. I'm glad that school is going to put me back on the 'busy track' and I'm looking forward to working hard and earning that feeling of accomplishment at the end of the semester. I'm hoping to meet some new people and start new friendships; maybe have an 'Ading' in Pangkat and a 'Lil' for ATD. It's time for ME to start being the 'older sister/mentor.' I've been at MSMC long enough to know what it takes to succeed and I want to be able to share that with other people.
My intentions are good and my hopes are high. I feel optimistic and ready. I'm rested and ready to go. So when Monday comes, I am walking onto campus with a fresh start. I never wasted time, because it helped me to get where I am now and I AM IN A GOOD PLACE. Everything from here on out is going to stem from hope; hope is a good thing and a good thing never dies.