I've been welcomed into my third year of the nursing program. There's definitely more pressure to do well and be on top of things. They told us it's more about 'autonomy' this year and I can see why. It's exciting and scary at the same time because I feel like there's a lot of pressure to find our desired specialty this year. There's a lot going on, but it's good because there's so much opportunity to experience different things. I've noticed that there's a lot of individual' projects pertaining to advocacy/observation and actually going out in the community to take classes related to child birth and breast-feeding since I'm in the OB-PEDS rotation this semester. The Jr. faculty really wants us to have these hands-on experiences to better our relationships with our patients and I think that's great. I think that the faculty here at MSMC is really amazing. They're tough, but so encouraging and most importantly, they're just so passionate about what they do. It's inspiring and it keeps me motivated.
My PEDS teacher told us that we MUST be passionate about becoming a nurse or else it will become draining and that there's so much more to nursing than just giving meds and IVs. If we reduce our vision of nursing to that or just want the money, then we will never enjoy our job. I totally agree with her and all I want is to have the same passion for nursing that my teachers have :) I'm also glad to be taking bioethics this semester because it's like my 'breather' class. My professor for that class is also so passionate and she actually begins class with a prayer, which has been a first for me even though MSMC IS a Catholic college. Overall, I feel that this semester is going to be a really amazing experience and I'm looking forward to every minute of it!
On a side note, I've had this fascination with Demi Lovato lately. First, I just started listening to her music and I liked it, so I eventually started looking up interviews of her on youtube and I was so heart-broken by her story. And some of the things that she said made me teary-eyed. I guess I was just reminded of my hurtful past when she would share her struggles of 'fitting in' and dealing with her emotions. I've never resorted to cutting or drug abuse, but I have had my dark phases in life and I think that she has come a long way by getting "Stay Strong" tattooed on her wrists as a constant reminder for herself. I think that we all need that reminder, regardless of our past. It's not too late.
Even though it's complicated
If I can I wanna change the way I've made it
I gotta do the right thing now
I know it's up to me some how
I'll find my way
If I could take it all back I would now
I never meant to let you all down
And now I've got to try to turn it all around
And figure out how to fix this
I know there's a way so I promise
I'm gonna clean up the mess I made
Maybe It's not to late
I'm gonna find the strength
To be the one who that holds it all together
Show you that I'm sorry
But I know that we can make it better