Thursday, September 13, 2012

One Day.

This week was pretty hectic but awesome at the same time. I finally witnessed my first vaginal delivery and it was on my very first day of OB clinical! It was definitely a memorable experience. I have to admit it was a little overwhelming at first, but when the baby's head started to crown and its body came out, the doctor held the baby up for the parents to see and they were both crying tears of joy. This helped me to understand why delivery is called "the miracle of life" and I thought it was absolutely breath-taking, aside from all the bodily fluids and blood that poured out in the process >_<

I think that L&D nursing is fascinating in its own way. You get to take care of someone in pain, but get to see their smile bigger than ever once their baby is brought into the world. You're not just caring for the mom, but her baby and the whole family as well. I'd imagine it to become overwhelming because labor and delivery is such an intimate and personal time for any family. L&D nurses must have the patience and compassion to deal with anything that might go wrong and I think that's a pretty heavy work load to take. But in the end, I could see how rewarding it would be knowing that you were there when a baby took its first breath of air in the world. I think OB clinical is gonna be a great experience and I'm already looking forward to next week!

My first exam of the semester is finally over and I'm proud to say I earned a B! The upperclassmen were definitely freaking me out about the difficulty level of exams junior year in the program and now I see why. These exams aren't just straightforward questions, it's a lot of critical thinking. So, each question being asked is more like a combination of 5 questions all in one. I don't think I've had to think so hard on a test before haha, but if this is what it takes to prepare for the NCLEX, then I'm just gonna have to study my ass off and hope for the best.

Aside from my school update, I'm glad that all the good shows are finally starting to come back! I've been watching the X Factor this week and I think that the new panel of judges are great together and because I love Britney Spears and Demi Lovato, of course. This next Acuvue Video is random, but I found it inspiring I guess. I think we can all finish the sentence, "One Day..." when we talk about our hopes and dreams. For me, I would have to say, "One Day, I will be able to use my nursing career to spread compassion and healing all over the nation/world." That will be the day.