I don't really get the chance to go to mass at my home parish since I usually just go to Interfaith, but I'm glad that I did because my favorite monsignor was there. And it was nice because I know I won't be coming back home for awhile after I move to L.A. on Saturday so being able to listen to one of his homilies before leaving was a blessing.
Since we were celebrating the Assumption of Mary, he started off by telling us that one word defined Mary's life: "YES." And her yes changed everything. He then talked about how God has a plan for each and every single one of us and that it's up to us to say YES, just as Mary did. He shared that many people have came to him asking how to know what God's plan is for them and how to know when to say yes. And I think that's something A LOT of people struggle with personally, I know that I do, but anyway he just said "It's easier to know what God DOESN'T want for you." That was really interesting to me because I never really thought about it that way, but it makes a lot of sense to me now. He also mentioned a book that he was reading by Dan Wakefield entitled "How Do We Know When It's God," and I think I want to buy it so I'll have something to read on my free time. But anyway, he basically just told us that it's so easy to get caught up in all the lust, greed, and power that this world offers and that's why so many people lead miserable lives. But if we just turn ourselves to God and say YES to His plan, our lives can become transformed and we should look to Mary to be our ultimate example. And he encouraged us to pray the rosary often, especially when we are discouraged because Mama Mary will intercede for us and be our guiding light.
This homily truly spoke to me and it was a perfect message to take with me before moving out. Monsignor O'Leary helped me to make a new goal for myself, to start praying the rosary each day. Since MSMC has a chapel I'm definitely not going to take it for granted. I want to stop by each day and say the rosary, whether it be before, in- between, or after classes. I want to keep myself spiritually revived and I hope I will be able to do just that. Then hopefully I will be able to hear His voice more clearly instead of Him getting drowned out by everyone else's.