Friday, June 15, 2012

Every Day a Friday.

My Mom has a bunch of Joel Osteen's books so I decided to borrow one that's called "Every Day a Friday." The premise of it is basically to see EVERYDAY as a 'Friday' and just choosing to have a positive perspective in life. I'm trying to build some extra confidence this Summer because I KNOW I have some challenges ahead of me.

My job training for Destination Science was last weekend and it was definitely a new experience for me. Many of the previous workers and new hires had a background in teaching and I honestly felt out of place. I was overwhelmed by all of the booklet guides they gave us for our lesson plans, but I'm just going to take it day-by-day and do my best. I know this experience is really going to help me grow and learn something new and I'm anticipating a challenging, yet fulfilling next few weeks once I start working. Just knowing that I'm going to (hopefully) have a strong impact on these kids by building their confidence in learning is more than enough for me to take away from this job. I'm just really praying that it won't be too much stress! Fortunately, the whole DS staff is really nice, so I know that I'm going to be in good hands. It's weird for me though because as a nursing student, we're trained to be professional and to act like mature adults, but with this job, we're told to be crazy, fun, loud, and silly. It's a big step outside of my comfort zone, but it's also a reminder that, "to enter the kingdom of God, you must be childlike, not childish." I just have to keep that in mind and the rest is just preparation and organization :)

As for school activities, I just recently found out I was chosen to be on Pangkat's PCN Board, or what they call PACAB- Pilipino American Cultural Advisory Board. It's exciting, but I know it's going to take time away from studying which freaks me out at the same time. I was hesitant to apply at first because knowing me, I am EXTREMELY dedicated to school and I take studying very seriously. I like to know that I'm giving my 100% and learning as much as possible. However, I also know how miserable this makes me too. Last year was non-stop studying, I didn't even do PCN because I didn't want to fall behind like most people do during PCN season. I'm taking a chance to have a little bit more faith in myself this time around. I want to know that I've done more in nursing school than just study. I owe it to myself to be a leader for once and to have a little bit more fun in between. I think being on PACAB is going to be a test to my time management and a good way to create a balance between school and my social life. I'm going to continue being in ATD as well, so hopefully it'll keep me on my toes. Not going to lie, I am fearing what this upcoming school year holds, but I know that God is not going to give me anything I can't handle. I just have to work a little bit harder. 

I'm trying my best to keep my 'nursing plan' on the DL because I'm the type of person that likes to keep important things just between me and Him. But I've been making a short list of the people that I trust and I told one of my close friends a couple of days ago. It made me SO HAPPY to see how supportive she was and how she just 'got me.' She totally understood why this was something I wanted to pursue and even though she was surprised at first, it made me feel so much better that I was able to share with someone. It's hard keeping something like this to myself and in a way I feel like I'm lying to people when I don't say anything. But honestly, I'm still taking this in day-by-day and I constantly pray about it. It's not something that I want EVERYONE to know, especially when I'm not even sure if it'll fall through 100%. When this plan becomes a reality, then I will be more than happy to share with more people. But for now, a dream is still blooming and I need to do my best to protect that. 

"Being successful doesn't necessarily make you great. What makes you great is when you reach back and help somebody else become great. Greatness is saying, "God has blessed me not to just sit on my throne and let everybody see my accomplishments." No, I know God has blessed me to become a blessing. God has helped me win so I can help someone else win."- Joel Osteen