Saturday, January 30, 2010

Word.

So I was looking back on my personal statements I sent to different colleges, and I must say that I impressed myself re-reading them! Not to sound arrogant or anything, but I think that my response to one of the questions was sheer perfection. Unfortunately, I think that my writing skills have declined since senior year or high school :,(

[Question #2: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be and why?]

Stereotypes, misunderstanding, and ignorance are some of the strongest factors that act as a barrier towards racial unity. For some, the problems of racial tension may seem irresolvable, but in my eyes, the solution is indeed tangible. Although there are many perplexities and tragedies that exist in the world, I would change the views that people have about other cultures and ethnicities. From my past experience with my dance team, I have discovered that working with a diverse group of people is culturally enriching. It did not matter to us who was Black, White, or Asian, because we all came together for the same cause and 
we were able to demonstrate that racial unity is attainable. This type of comradeship exemplified a simple beauty and I would love for the world to embrace the essence of cultural integration. If people could just open up their minds and rid their hatred towards other races, I feel that this world could transform into a more positive environment. I would want those who harbor resentment in their hearts to alter their way of thinking, put their personal feelings aside, and step beyond the borders of their racial comfort zone. It is understandable why people tend to only associate with their own kind, maybe because of common interests, or certain qualities, but if someone never makes the sincere effort to befriend someone of a different cultural background, then they are only hurting theirself. This world is a vast array of uniqueness, but how can it be truly appreciated if people continue to shut themselves off from the beauty of other cultures? I believe that insecurity hinders individuals from seeking relationships with those outside of their race and I find this disheartening because even though slavery was abolished decades ago, the same 
feelings of superiority are starkly existent today. I believe that everyone, regardless of their ethnic 
background, deserves to be treated with an equal amount of respect and this is why I would want to change the problem of racial tension in the world.


This is GOOD stuff :)