"Nothing teaches us more about who we are than seeing ourselves in the people we least expect."
This quote really got me to thinking about the people in my life who have shaped me to who I am today. And it's really true. I know it's human nature to stick with people who are "like us." But taking that step outside of our comfort zone is when we really start to learn more about who we are as individuals. And when that step is taken, I think it's a sign of growth and maturity. I really dislike people who judge others too quickly and who are ignorant toward those who are "different" from them.
We can never learn more about other people if we don't give them a chance. So the next time you encounter someone "different" from you, don't be so quick to stereotype. I have to admit that I am guilty of being that person who is quick to judge and decides if I want to be friends with someone just by looking at them. But I've changed. I think coming to college was really eye-opening, being part of a campus filled with such diversity. Not just in race, but clubs and interests. I joined Kaba because that's where I felt all the "cool Filipinos" were and I wanted to be part of that SO BAD my first year. And I got my wish, but that soon changed when Liwanag came into the picture.
When I learned it was a "Filipino Catholic Community" my heart just turned away. Who would want to hang out with a bunch of RELIGIOUS people who pray all the time? They don't have as much fun as Kaba does. That was my initial reaction. BUT, I gave them a chance and I took time to peel the layers of this new, fresh religious environment that I had never been accustomed to. I gave them a chance to prove me wrong and I'm SO glad that I did. That's when I started to realize that I AM that religious person.
I wasn't jumping for joy about being part of Liwanag my first year. At first, I didn't even tell friends back home that I was part of this "Catholic club" because honestly these people were the LAST group I thought I'd be hanging out with. But God has a way of putting you just where you BELONG. So that quote above has some great significance to me. Because I truly saw myself in all of the members of Liwanag, even when I didn't want to admit it. They have taught me SO much about myself just by being there for me and I cannot thank them enough for that.
So give people a chance to prove you wrong, because you never know who's going to end up being a good friend of yours :]