Tuesday, June 14, 2011

All Things Bright & Beautiful.

As a kid, I never really had a burning passion for what I wanted to pursue as a career. But I do recall wanting to be a teacher or an optometrist. I didn't understand how people knew EXACTLY what they wanted so many years before even getting to college. And even when I got to UCI, I sure as hell didn't know where I was going, I was just happy to be there. Nursing was always in the back of my mind of course, but I never truly FELT like that's what I was meant to do. I thought that maybe if I succeeded in Bio I just might have a chance of becoming an eye doctor, because that is the direction I WOULD have taken if things worked differently.

Obviously, that didn't happen. God had something else in store for me and now I'm here. I never had an intention of taking up a minor, but it's gonna be pretty exciting to explore Healthcare Policy. I think it'll go hand-in-hand with nursing and I hope that whatever I end up doing in the future will be a combination of the two :)

MSMC requires all the nursing students to dress in business attire during skills lab once a week. I had to go out and buy some new additions for my wardrobe because I don't ever dress in business attire unless I have a presentation or an interview. At first I thought it was kind of dumb how we have to dress up for a class, but my Mom just kept telling me that they're molding our sense of being a 'professional.' So I guess it's good that we're being put in that state of mind so early on in the program. It was fun shopping for blazers and blouses because trying them on made me feel like a 'grown up' haha. My Mom was getting a kick out of it too and told me to start 'dressing up' instead of wearing clothes that high school kids wear. This upset me, but in a way she's right. In a few years I'm going to be WORKING. It's crazy to believe that I will soon have the capability and training to save someone's life O_O It seems unreal, but that's the reality!

Although I still don't know what area I want to specialize in or where I eventually want to settle down, I DO KNOW what my highest goal is for myself. I know what I ultimately want to be doing 20 years down the road. It's something that just FEELS right, something I feel that would make me extremely proud and give me the chance to impact so many lives. Yes, of course I want to be a nurse as long as my body lets me, but there's another vision that just doesn't go away. So I'm taking that as God's calling for me. If I'm thinking about it almost everyday, that's gotta mean something. But who knows? Dreams fade when reality kicks in. I'm just hoping that I'l be able to do this.