Thursday, January 20, 2011

Transcendence.



A dream is the bearer of a new possibility, the enlarged horizon, the great hope.
- Howard Thurman


Today in my faith & human development class, we discussed "transcendence" in the context of human horizons. Talking about the possibility of humans overcoming certain limits and transcending the horizon made me think about my own capabilities or perspective on life. At the beginning of the year, I made a promise to DREAM BIG. I usually only stick to "realistic" goals, but what IS "realistic?" I owe it to myself to go BEYOND that barrier. My psych professor also gave me some hope today as well when she shared that people constantly told her in high school that she wasn't "college material." She made herself believe she wasn't good enough until she realized that SHE was in charge of herself. She warned us to avoid people who are getting in the way of what we truly want and she told us that if we have a goal, TO GO AFTER IT and NEVER LET ANYBODY TAKE IT AWAY FROM YOU. Her message to those people was,"Look at me now, I have a ph.D, you assholes!" LOL! So I'm definitely going to apply all that I'm learning to my personal life.

There are SO MANY different opportunities here in L.A. My ideas are booming at the moment because I'm slowly mapping out all the things I'd wanna do/attempt this year and the future. I successfully achieved one so far, which was working for some sort of entertainment industry. Fortunately I got the Forever Love Records Office Intern position. I started on Wednesday and it may not be the most "glamorous" L.A. internship, but it's a start. Working with a Grammy-nominated artist isn't easy, especially when she's yelling at you to do 7389845 things at the same time. It's definitely a test of patience, but I just need to stick it out for a little bit longer until I feel like moving onto something else.

Other things that I'm currently scheming for the rest of Spring Semester and next school year:

*Find a long-term job or paid internship to last from now throughout the Summer
*Try out for either Skit or tinikling for MSMC's PCN
*Talk to counselor about taking up a Minor
*Volunteer or CCE at UCLA medical center
**Dean's List!
**Getting into the Nursing Program
*Graduate with Honors
*Join Nursing Honors Sorority
*John Hopkins University for MSN?

AHHH my mind is in overload! But I need to take advantage of this inspiration. The only person who can stop me from achieving these goals is myself. But I know that I AM CAPABLE. Will I be able to do every single thing on the list above? "Realistically," no, but today, I AM SAYING YES. Yes I am strong, yes I am focused, YES I CAN.