Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Speak.

I just finished watching this year's PCN DVD and it made me realize how much I'm gonna miss Kaba. I don't know why, but I actually teared up at the end watching roll-call. I know that I pretty much left Kaba my second year for a lot of reasons and now I kind of regret that.

Kaba was my first family away from home at UCI my first year. I remember I went to every single meeting, every after-event, and other events that involved SCPASA. I loved learning more about my culture, meeting other Filipinos, going to events like friendship games,JFAV, and supporting other causes for FILAMS. They made me feel like I belonged. And Kaba is where I met some of my closest friends today. Kaba also holds a lot of my firsts in college: first time clubbing, first college crush, first time drinking, first house party, first time getting drunk haha. I know that may sound bad or what not but Kaba definitely MADE my first year. And I absolutely LOVE the Kaba 2012 class, no doubt. So I REALLY hope that I can somehow come back to Kaba my 4th year to do senior suite because I know it's going to be AMAZING.

I don't know what happened. I still loved Kaba at the beginning of my second year. I went to first gen and the first couple of meetings, but then I just stopped going. I stopped because it just didn't have the same feel as my first year. The people were different and I missed how it used to be. I missed out on a lot of chances to bond with the newbies and my own class because I invested so much time with Liwanag. And I'm not exactly saying that was a mistake, but I just wish that maybe I could've put my differences with some people aside and went to more Kaba meetings.

And I was talking to a friend about how we both drifted from Kaba because we both found a FAMILY within Liwanag instead. Kaba didn't feed us that same vibe, and I still agree with that. I guess I just felt that I wanted to spend more time with LOG because I missed out on a lot my first year with them. And it's kind of weird to see how my social life turned around. I started hanging out with different people, people who I never thought would come to be some of my BEST friends. But I'm happy where I ended up, you know? I just can't help but think how things would have been like if I had been more active in Kaba.

Although I grew more in my faith my second year, my cultural experience wasn't as strong. So maybe I can rekindle that at MSMC? Or maybe even join Samahang Pilipino at UCLA? I just don't want to forget my roots, so I have to try a little bit harder.

ISANG BANSA.